Monday, April 3, 2017

Back to Blogging Our Move to Twin Falls

I’ve decided in a way that there is so much that goes through my head that never makes it to a sheet of paper to be remembered.  So much happens in my head, my mind doesn’t ever stop turning.  I’ve learned just at this moment that that is where Sierra gets if from… Me…  Anyways, my mind goes at a very rapid pace and there is so much I think about, contemplate, ponder and wonder that what ends up happening is that I continue to cycle through all these thoughts/topics and I end up contemplating each topic/idea so far and then my mind goes on to the next thing.  I compare it to when you are downloading multiple things at once on a computer or phone or whatever, and you seen the download percentage, on file at 4%, then other at 16%, then 3 others at 45%, 88%, and 32%.  Anyways, lots of thoughts in my mind tend to be this way.  So many things are buffering but I sometimes feel like it’s really hard to complete the thought or get an answer to what I’m searching for.  I decided that we are experiencing so many fun things in our lives right now at the stage of life we are in and unless we write it down or record it somewhere, it will never be remembered but a faint thought or turn into a lost treasured moment that gets lost forever.  Kenz and I have been so busy with life, just like every other young family our age, and who has time to record the memory in anyway but whip out our cell phone and snap a picture or video of the happenings.  So that’s how our family’s memories have been recorded in the past 5.5+ years of marriage, pictures, videos, all stored on iPhoto and we pray that our computer never crashes and we lose our little family’s memories.  So, Kenz and I have decided we are going to record our thoughts, life events, special insights on a little blog.  This isn’t a cry for attention or anything else, but more the purpose is for us to record the little thoughts, memories for ourselves, and if people want to read along and stay in touch with our family, great, we love that.  We recently left lots of our friends and family in Utah and moving to Twin Falls.  Hopefully this is a way that we can keep in touch with lots of those of you we miss and wonder how you are.  So what I’m going to do to start this whole blog is to kind of back track to almost a year ago because we had so real eye opening experiences that are worth recording.


Back in May of last year, we were able to complete a large milestone in our family’s life.  Dad was finally done with school forever!  What a ride, a stress relief, such a happy time.  The graduation, festivities in and of itself could be its own blog post, but to say the least, it was such a purely happy time in our lives.  For years, each and everyone of us sacrificed in our own way so that we could support our family together, and this avenue was for me to obtain my Doctorate in Physical Therapy.  Sierra was born the first semester I was at The U, Noelle born right before finals of my last academic semester.  Most of my whole family was able to attend the graduation and festivities, and I can’t explain how great it felt to accomplish that aspect of life. 




Through the spring a year ago we searched and searched and searched for answers from above to know where we should work, raise our little family etc.  This is a decision each and everyone of us face and it literally took over our lives during arguably the most stressful time in our lives.  I knew that I wanted to work in a home health setting, but at the time I was trying to contemplate the dollar figure, with autonomous work environment, with work schedule, the people I get to work with, cost of living, how I was going to repay all these student loans I needed to get the degree I received etc.  In Dec 2015, I remember looking at a job posting for a company called Encompass Home Health and they were looking for a PT in Twin Falls, Idaho.  Kenz grew up in Rupert and we had been to Twin several times.  Anyways, for whatever reason, I felt really prompted that I needed to apply for this job.  I would graduate for another 6 months, but for whatever reason, I felt a strong urge that I should apply.  So I did…  The day after I submitted the application, I got a call from the Branch Director called and was very interested.  We chatted over the next few weeks and sure enough an offer came.  So here we are and I have this really good job offer to move to of all places Twin Falls, Idaho.  Anyways, Kenz and I at the time weren’t ready to just jump into the saddle and go.  We felt that we needed to keep our options open.  We weren’t sure we wanted to live in a smaller town, away from all the conveniences and friends we had made in Utah.  Like a good Branch Director, she followed up with me, and I had nothing to report that we just weren’t sure we were ready to move yet.  I look back and I probably would’ve hated that I offered a job to this guy who couldn’t make up his mind.  Anyways, I started meeting with more people in Utah who I thought could be potential employers.  We ended up getting an offer with a company that I interned with the summer prior to work as a home health therapist in SLC.  The perk was this company was a non profit company and if I worked for them for 10 years, all my student loans would be forgiven.  Sounded like a great deal to me.  We’d make enough to get by and more, raise our kids in a place that we were comfortable with, be close to some family, have all the conveniences life offered.  We went to the temple, prayed, fasted, did everything we could to decide between the two good options.  We didn’t get a direct answer at all.  There was no clear answer we could get about what direction we should go.  As the dad and husband, I felt at a loss as here I am supposed to be leading my family and I’ve got no direction at all.  Zilch.  Both options were good and so we just went with where I was most comfortable which was with the company I interned with.  We planned on staying in Utah and see how things went.



Well after graduation, the board exam, and licensing came through, I started working.  Long story short, the job was not everything I had hoped for.  I had a hard time making the money we needed to save for a home and accomplish the financial goals and stability we desired.  I held in and just had faith that Heavenly Father would provide. I worked hard, I did all I could to do what I knew, but life was hard.  One morning at the end of June I went on a run in the AM just as the sun was coming up.  I was just running circles around this park near our home and got this absolutely sick feeling that I had made the wrong choice.  I remember to this day sitting on our little patio on the 3rd floor condo we were renting at 6:30 AM thinking, why in the world am I getting this feeling now?  I’m already all in where I’m at and I can’t just switch now, That Twin Falls job is probably not even available anymore.  I remember sweaty and all, walking in and waking Kenz up and telling her, I don’t know if I made the right choice.  She couldn’t believe the thought either after all the tormenting stress we had been through just coming to the decision that we were going to take the Utah job.  I remember being so confused and frustrated that I was feeling the way I was.  I somehow brushed it out of my mind and carried on doing with what I committed to, and with the decision we made.  Out of curiosity, I looked and the Twin Falls job was still available.  But, I checked again out of curiosity about a week later and it had been taken down.  So I just brushed the curiosity out of my mind and again went all in with where I was at.  But that didn’t last long, I kept having promptings in that direction, so I finally reached out to the Branch Director in Twin Falls, and asked if she had anything available.  To our excitement, we found a place I could fill and we committed to move at the end of the month.  We packed up, mostly Kenz while I worked with the patients I had, we loaded up the biggest UHaul we could get, (and it still didn’t fit everything we had.  We had to leave a bunch of stuff in my brother Shane’s garage who conveniently lived one building over.  I drove this Fat Uhaul with the 96 Honda on a tow hitch fully loaded with a bunch of judd we couldn’t fit in the truck and made the journey north to more rural, farmland filled Twin Falls.






Looking back, it was a miracle we were able to find a place to rent in Idaho as the rental market was virtually non-existent compared to KSL classifieds in Utah.  We were able to move into a nice comfortable home around the corner from a friend I went to PT school with. 

Looking back, for whatever reason Heavenly Father saw fit, He decided to teach us through experience.  We literally came to a fork in the road.  A very bumpy road at the time, may I add.   We took the road we felt good about and we ran into a dead end.  I can’t tell you how much stress, emotional fatigue and anguish I went through, Kenz went through and I’m sure Sierra and Noelle had to go through as I figuratively stopped the car at the dead end wondering what the judd I was doing at a dead end when I did everything that I was prompted to do.  We back tracked, took the other fork in the road, but instead of taking the alternative fork with a grudge or wonder if we were going the right way, we took the alternative fork knowing with complete confidence that we were going the direction we were supposed to at that time in our life.  We were able to move forward with faith.  I had a little bit of a confused state with Heavenly Father wondering why he didn’t just tell us the “right” way to go in the first place.  We would’ve had confidence taking that path if He just told us in the first place right?  Why did we have to take the dead end route and be worse off financially because of it?  I came to realize that we wouldn’t have learned some important key lessons that we hold so dear to our hearts now if we didn’t go through what we went through.  I’ve never really questioned anything God has prompted me to do, I just follow the prompting no matter what.  So we have felt like Heavenly Father really directed us to be where we are at for whatever reason that is, we are confident in that and have faith in that. 




So here we are living in the land of canyons, big waterfalls, Chobani, Cliff Bar, potatoes, beets and corn, happy to make friends and raise our little family and continue to follow our dreams and make them happen.  We have contemplated over the past 3 months if we like where we’re at.  Do we want to transfer to Boise or Utah to have more convenience that we enjoyed in Utah?  We’ve come to the decision and answer that we are where we are supposed to be for now.  We recognize how much Heavenly Father has blessed us and we are very thankful for the blessings we've received and the constant artillery of trials that we are presented with the help us grow.  We are now contemplating what we will do home wise.  Buy, build, continue renting....  Lot's of big decisions ahead that frankly, I have a hard time with.  I'm good at making little decisions, or at least I think so, but when it comes to buying things that are over 500 bucks, I'm as indecisive as they come.  So keep us in your prayers if you would.  We will try and be more regular with this blog.  I'm sure sometimes I will write something and other times Kenz will write something.  She'll probably write about our trip to Waco/Dallas next.  It was cool.  Best wishes. 





No comments:

Post a Comment